Sunday, May 20, 2007

Daniel Johnston @ the Southgate House


I was fortunate enough to see the legendary songwriter Daniel Johnston perform a week or so ago, and now I feel my life is complete. I had heard of him many times but it has been only within the past year or so that I have listened to his music and subsequently seen the documentary film about his life, The Devil and Daniel Johnston. The more I've listened to his songs the more I have grown to love them. I wasn't quite sure what to expect going to see him live other than this could quite possibly be the last chance I get to see a living legend. Johnston began by slowly coming out on stage with his guitar strapped on his shoulder and a small binder in one hand that serves as one of his many songbooks. He proceeded to play four songs by himself that did justice to the feeling of most of his recordings: rough around the edges, short and straight to the heart. In such a large setting and in front of several hundred eager listeners Johnston did not fail to captivate with no other accompaniment than a small nylon-string guitar and his songs.

After this, Johnston put aside his guitar and took on the lead singer role while a host of local musicians came on stage to act as Johnston's backing band for the remainder of the evening. The songs felt ackward and sloppy and at times felt as if they would almost fall apart, but some of Johnston's early recordings feel this way too, so it wasn't entirely out of place. The band ripped through favorites such as "Speeding Motorcycle", "Life in Vain", and "True Love Will Find You in the End". The most impressive thing the entire evening, in my mind, was the way in which Daniel would gaze at his songbook throughout the entirety of each song. His eyes were so intense and focused as if he was gazing through the joy and pain of his entire life encapsulated in the words that he had written so long ago on one of those sheets kept in that little red notebook. The evening, and Mr. Johnston's songs, will always hold a special place in my heart :)


Some of my all time Daniel Johnston favorites:

Wish
Syrup of Tears

No comments: