Friday, October 12, 2007

Sailing through rainbows.



I'm sure I will add little to the ever ubiquitous discussion on the internet about Radiohead's new album In Rainbows. What can be said that has not been said already?

However after listening to the album about six times through I am thoroughly enjoying it. I will say that I was worried after hearing all the live tracks and videos floating around, and nothing (except the original video of Arpeggi) caught my ear. But as uncanny as it may seem, Radiohead continues to release excellent albums one after the other and all my fears have since been quelled. To me it seems that this is a more settled and peaceful Radiohead, or about as much as we could ever expect from the boys.

When the musical world was riding high on optimism during the dot-com bubble that was soon to burst in the late 90's, they released the dark and dreary masterpiece OK Computer, that is almost more pertinent today than when it was released. Now, some ten years later it seems as though the current culture of war and fear has taken its toll on artists and there is an indecipherable tension in artists albums from The Polyphonic Spree to Arcade Fire. But Radiohead have always peered into the future. Let us hope that what they see is as beautiful and as peaceful, as a rainbow is after the storm.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I like your take on this 'disc'. I thought that "Hail to the Thief" was not forward looking, but very much in the post-September 11 moment.

Cheers